How to Plan for Medicaid in Kentucky
Most people are unaware of the extensive benefits and services Medicaid provides to its recipients. At the Louisville law office of John H. Ruby & Associates, we will walk you through the eligibility requirements and create a plan specifically for you.
What is Medicaid?
Medicaid is a federal health program available to:
- Pregnant women
- Dependent children under 19 years of age and the parents of such children if one parent is deceased or incapacitated or if the bread-winning parent is unemployed
- Individuals over 65 years of age, the blind, disabled and those with limited income and resources
The Medicaid programs available in Kentucky offer a variety of services to those who qualify. Here are just a few of the programs Kentucky offers:
- Medicaid Works helps workers with disabilities by allowing them to buy into the Medicaid program. There are income requirements that must be met in order to be eligible for this program.
- Medicaid Savings Plan Program is designed assist low-income Medicare recipients who are not entitled to receive full Medicaid benefits.
- Presumptive Eligibility or PE is available to pregnant women and includes out-patient care costs.
- Kentucky Transitions helps those individuals who decide to move from their Medicaid-funded care facility into the community.
The Louisville attorneys at our firm will walk you through the eligibility requirements and find a program best suited to your needs. Contact us today to discuss the options available to you.
Why Convert my Assets?
Converting your assets may make you eligible to receive Medicaid services. Doing so, however, requires a skilled Louisville trust attorney to ensure the trust is properly set up and the legal requirements are satisfied.
A Qualifying Income Trust (QIT) allows you to put some or all of your income into a trust for the purpose of meeting the eligibility requirements of Medicaid. In order to set up a QIT, you must have a gross monthly income over $1,656 and want to or currently receive certain Medicaid program services. Contact the attorneys at John H. Ruby & Associates to set up your QIT today.
Nursing Home Services
Our firm is dedicated to advocating for senior citizens. Many seniors are unaware of the ways in which Medicaid may help them; the Nursing Facility Services is just one such example.
Nursing Facility Services can cover the costs of room and board; food; social services and activities; medical and surgical supplies; laundry; prescription medications; and other personal items and services provided by a nursing facility. These services, however, are only available to individuals who:
- Live in a participating facility and are placed in a Medicaid-certified bed
- Meet the facility’s level of care criteria
- And have limited income and resources
If you do not qualify for Medicaid, or for Nursing Facility Services, our firm will create a nursing home plan for you.
The Importance of Elder Care Agreements
You may reach a time when you are no longer able to care for yourself without some assistance. Elder care agreements are a great way to get the help you need, on your own terms. These agreements are entered into by the elder and the elder’s caregiver and should outline, among other things, the duties to be performed and how payment will be made. The advice of an experienced elder law attorney should be sought, as these agreements are contracts that can have important legal ramifications if not properly drafted.
John H. Ruby & Associates are here to help you with your, or a loved one’s, Medicaid planning. Contact us to set up your free initial consultation to learn more about our services.