Close Menu
This is an advertisement
local 502.895.2626
Helping you plan for the future and deal with the present

Consumer Protection Act Violations Attorney in Louisville

consumer protection attorneyAs a consumer in the state of Kentucky, you have rights that are protected by both federal and state consumer protection laws. When these rights are violated, our attorneys at the law offices of John H. Ruby & Associates can help you to understand your options, including how to file a complaint or/and bring forth a lawsuit for damages. Our lawyers are passionate about protecting consumers in our state from unfair business practices, and will aggressively advocate for you if your rights under the Consumer Protection Act have been breached.

State and Federal Consumer Protection Laws- What You Need to Know

As stated above, there are both state and federal consumer protection laws in place that are designed to protect consumers like yourself. As found in Section 367.170 of the Kentucky Consumer Protect Act, it is unlawful for any party to use “unfair, false, misleading, or deceptive acts or practices in the conduct of any trade or commerce.”

Federally, there are multiple consumer protection laws in place that are designed to protect you. For example, there are laws regarding the garnishment of wages, credit reporting, lending practices, debt collection, telemarketing, and more.

Because consumer protection laws are so broad, it is important that you speak with an attorney if you believe any of your rights as a consumer have been violated.

Kentucky Office of Consumer Protection

If you believe that your rights as a consumer have been breached, you may have the right to bring forth a civil action for damages. Depending upon the type of breach, you may either file a complaint with the federal Bureau of Consumer Protection or seek help through the Kentucky Office of Consumer Protection. As explained by the Office of Consumer Protection, you may have a case regarding matters such as:

  • Internet sales;
  • Truth in lending;
  • Privacy;
  • For-profit schools;
  • Repossessions
  • Fair Credit Reporting Act violations;
  • Lemon Law;
  • Usury;
  • Telemarketing sales;
  • Do-not-call list;
  • Debt collection;
  • Robo calls;
  • Charitable solicitation; and
  • More.

Steps to Take if Your Rights as a Consumer Have Been Breached

Understanding what steps to take when your rights as a consumer have been breached can be confusing, and you may not know where to turn. Our attorneys encourage you to:

  • Document everything you can regarding your complaint, such as the number of calls you have received in regards to debt collection, specific things you have been told, what your response has been, any damages you have suffered, etc.;
  • Contact the business and ask for a resolution to the problem – in many cases, bringing your consumer complaint directly to a business owner or manager will result in its resolution;
  • If the business will not resolve the problem and you continue to feel as though your rights as a consumer have been violated, the next step is filing a complaint. You can file your complaint via:
    • Small claims court;
    • The Better Business Bureau;
    • The federal Bureau of Consumer Protection; or
    • The Kentucky Office of the Attorney General.

In all cases, you should hire an experienced attorney who can represent you throughout the process. In fact, while mediation services may be offered depending upon the entity with which you file your complaint, such as the Kentucky Office of the Attorney General, legal services in the form of a private attorney for you who is acting on your behalf will not be provided.

Resolutions for Consumer Protection Act Violations

Most Consumer Protection Act violations are resolved through mediations or negotiations out of court. When you work with an attorney, your attorney can help you to seek remedy for any harm that you have suffered as a result of the violation. In some cases, punitive damages may also be awarded if the violation was intentional. In addition to remedies for specific damages that you have suffered, the business may also face penalties from the Kentucky Office of the Attorney General, such as a fine/penalty for a violation of the Act.

How Our Attorneys Can Help

Being the victim of an act of fraud or misleading, unfair, or deceptive acts or practices can be stressful and emotional, and it can also result in financial losses to you. When a business violates the provisions of the Consumer Protection Act in Kentucky, or any federal consumer protection laws, they should be penalized for the breach, and you should be compensated as such.

Our attorneys can handle all aspects of your case on your behalf, including:

  • Helping you to document any consumer right violations;
  • Providing notice to the company regarding a breach of your rights and a request to remedy the situation;
  • Filing a complaint with the Office of the Attorney General, the Better Business Bureau, or filing a lawsuit for damages;
  • Negotiating or mediating your case in order to reach a remedy settlement that is fair and just; and
  • Litigating on your behalf in the event that damages are serious and settlement cannot be reached without going to trial.

We also help you to understand what constitutes a breach of consumer rights, how much your case may be worth, and how much you have suffered in damages, and whether or not punitive damages may be available to you.

Don’t Hesitate to Contact Our Law Offices Today

Business are obligated to operate within the confines of state and federal laws that are designed to protect consumers from unfair practices. When business do not do this, and consumer rights are violated, a consumer has the right to contact an attorney and seek damages.

At the law offices of John H. Ruby & Associates, our consumer protection attorneys have handled many cases like yours in the past, and know how to file effective complaints and recover compensation on your behalf. To learn more, please visit us today, call us at 502-895-2626, or send us an email detailing your situation using the form found on our website. We are committed to consumers, not big businesses.

Share This Page: